Lake Shore Drive
When Wacker Drive was extended east to LSD in the 1970s, its upper level ended at LSD at the west curve (the lower level dead-ended underneath). A new development at the northeast corner of the Randolph Street intersection resulted in an extension of Randolph across LSD.
Harbour began construction in 1982 on the realignment of Lake Shore Drive south of the river (along with a reconstruction north of the river). A whole new alignment was built, greatly smoothing the S-curve. The 16 mile long drive extends from South Marquette Drive to North Hollywood Boulevard. By 1996 new northbound lanes opened q200 Prior to this 1996 reconstruction, the northbound lane ran on the east side of Soldier Field while the southbound lane ran on the west side.
The northbound side opened in October 1985, and the southbound side opened in November 1986. A new lower level was built, using the lower level of the bridge, and providing access to the new Wacker Drive and the roads on the north side of the river. In 1996, new northbound lanes opened next to the original southbound lanes at Soldier Field, eliminating the original wide median from 1943.
Chicago Department of Transportation
Sycamore Police Station
Will County Adult Detention Facility
Burr Ridge Police Station
Kendall County Sheriff’s Station
Oak Brook Municipal
Huntington Lakes Apartments
Green Trails Apartments
University of Chicago Animal Research
Burnham Park and 18th Drive Roadway
Lakefront Busway Chicago
Brookfield Zoo Reptile Display